Thursday, July 23, 2009

Top 20 at Trader Joe's

Ok, so some of you may know I LOVE Trader Joe's! But for those who don't, I would shop there everyday if I could. I think some people are mislead with the idea that Trader Joe's is expensive. Well I want to let those people know that it's not, mostly. Yes, some of the completely natural/organic items, especially the meats, will be pricier but you are getting a different quality than say something of a similar type from WinCo. And yes, I love WinCo, too! Each store has different things I buy at each so I must frequent both.


So back to Trader Joe's. I am learning that I do eat pretty healthy most of the time, especially when I am cooking myself. If I don't buy the cookies/cakes/fattening foods for my home, I don't eat them at home. Most of the food at Trader Joe's is healthy. I did say MOST not ALL. Everything in moderation right? And healthy food can be tasty food when you add herbs and spices to them.

So here is a list of things I buy at Trader Joe's almost every time I go:

1. Bananas-always 19cents per banana, but my son and I eat one almost every day, so I always need them

2. Flax Seed plus Pumpkin Granola-the best ever! less than $3/box, its great on its own with milk, but I also like to make a parfait with Greek yogurt, granola, and fresh fruit.

3. Grated Parmesan/Romano Cheese blend-usually between $3.50-$4.50/container depending on the size, great blend of both cheeses for pasta or to mix into ingredients. It is a lot, so I keep mine in the freezer to prevent it from molding, and you don't even have to put it into another container.

4. Mache (said like "mosh")- usually $2.99 in the lettuce section, makes great salads! Way cheaper than buying it at Raley's or Safeway. It is great with a vinaigrette dressing since it is a delicate leaf.

5. Hummus-Original flavor is my favorite, but others are yummy too! Makes a great dip for veggies, pitas, crackers, root vegetables chips (see below), or a spread on a sandwich instead of mayo. Easy to use as an appetizer too.

6. No Pudge Brownie Mix-has a pink pig on the front-excellent for a low fat brownie mix because it has a recipe on the side to make 1 serving! Perfect for those late-night chocolate cravings!

7. Creamy Tomato Soup-less than $3/carton. Great texture and flavor, makes an easy dinner with grilled cheese!

8. Dried mangoes-unsweetened and unsulfered, so yummy that I usually buy 2 bags. There is a sweetened one too which is good if you want more sugar.

9. Nuts-chopped, sliced, roasted. Whatever kind you need, they have them cheaper than most stores. Store in the freezer so you always have them on hand.

10. Milk-cheaper than the regular grocery stores, and I always need it.

11. Trader Joe's Whole Milk Yogurt-6 individual sizes. I buy these for my son who needs the fat and calories. It's $2.99/6 servings, much cheaper than the baby brands at the grocery stores.

12. Trader Joe's jarred Tomato and Basil Marinara Sauce-again less than $2/jar and tastes homemade. It's a great base too for adding your own ingredients like ground beef.

13. Pomegranate Green Tea-very refreshing and only 80 calories a serving, plus the green tea is good for you!

14. Chocolate Covered Orange sticks...I have no idea what the real name is, but they are on the shelves above the frozen food. Such a great treat, the dark chocolate and the orange flavored jelly inside. YUM! However, I cannot buy these all the time, I'll eat them too quickly!

15. J.W.Morris Wine-all $2.99/bottle. Forget 2 buck Chuck, this is much better in my mind. They make every kind you can think of but my two favorites are the Riesling (very sweet white wine) and the Gewurztraminer(a nice white wine sweeter than Chardonnay but not too sweet)

16. Pumpkin Butter (now found year round!) - this is delicious! It's almost like a jam or spread. I would eat it for a snack or breakfast. First I would spread some Cheve cheese (goat cheese) onto toast and then top with the Pumpkin Butter. It's heaven. This would be a good appetizer also.

17. Basil plant - for about $3 there are enough leaves on this plant to make 2-3 jars of fresh pesto. You can find a recipe for pesto sauce at an older post for "Bruschetta Burgers." This is also a seasonal item, mostly summertime.

18. Frozen food- there is not one specific thing I religiously buy in this section, but it's always worth a look. There are lots of pre-made frozen meals, for one, or in a bag, that taste great and are not as processed. When cooking for 1 or 2, these make it a lot easier. Some good ones to try - fried rice, mini pizzas, pot stickers, eggplant Parmesan cutlets, teriyaki chicken, gnocchi, vegetable bird nests...the list could go on. Newest one I found is a Thai soup...so yummy and flavorful! I can't remember what it actually is though, I'll keep you posted.

19. Heirloom Tomatoes- during the summer mostly, these tomatoes are delicious. Usually come in a variety box of different sizes and colors including green, orange, and yellow. I like to slice them and top them with balsamic vinegar.

20. Flowers - I'd be waiting a long time if I waited for someone else to buy me flowers, so I buy them for myself! And Trader Joe's has a great selection all year long. Most of the time there is some pretty bouquet for under or around $5. Perfect to brighten up your home.

1 comment:

Haynalka said...

Wow Dina! You are AWESOME! I love to shop at Trader Joe's as well and I am loving your shopping list. I will definitely try some of these items...