Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Easy Gourmet Dinner-Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms


So I love making dinners that look impressive, but are actually really simple. I think this one falls into that category. Stuffed portabello mushrooms are very filling and don't need much else along the side. Makes a great summer meal!

What I used:
1lb lean ground beef (only half is used for the mushrooms, the rest I saved the other things, like burritos)
1/2 small shallot
Minced garlic
Worcestershire sauce
Two cleaned portabello mushrooms
Olive Oil
Montreal Steak Seasoning
Grape tomatoes
Fresh mozzarella cheese (the kind in water)

What I did:
1. Cook the ground beef in a hot pan, letting it brown up. While it's cooking, I added the chopped shallot, garlic, and steak seasoning. When it was almost done, I shook in some of the Worcestershire sauce-about 5-6 good shakes.

2. While that was cooking, I wiped off the mushrooms with a damp cloth, and then scooped out the inside with a spoon to make room for the filling.

3. I then brushed each mushroom with olive oil (top/bottom/sides), sprinkled them with Montreal seasoning and placed them onto a hot grill pan. They took about 5 min each side to soften up on medium-high heat.

4. When everything was almost done, I coated some grape tomatoes with olive oil and the seasoning and threw them right onto the grill next to the mushrooms. I let them cook until they started to burst.

5. To assemble, I filled each mushroom with some of the ground beef and then topped that with some of the tomatoes and mozzarella cheese I diced up.

6. To complete the meal I served it along side some sliced veggies (I had fennel, maybe a topic for another day, and bell peppers) and a couscous/grain mix I got at Trader Joe's.


Variations:
I would have topped it with basil, but I forgot to buy some at the store. If you want to be meat-free, stuff the mushroom with couscous or rice. Really you can use anything to stuff the mushrooms, so be creative and share with us your creations!

PS Trader Joe's is one of my FAVORITE places to shop! It might have to be its own topic one day..a trip to the best grocery store :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds awesome, thanks for the recipe. I might make this one for Bill.