Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Easy Crock-Pot Chicken

This is considered a staple in my house. I cook a whole chicken in the crock pot over night, or during a lazy Sunday, and then freeze the shredded meat. The chicken is ready to use in pastas, salads, quesadillas, enchiladas, sandwiches, soups and anything else you can imagine. I just take out what I need and thaw it on the counter or in the microwave. It's cheap, easy, and makes last-minute dinners without having to get fast-food.

Ingredients:

1 whole chicken
3-4 carrots
3-4 celery stalks
1 medium to large onion
Salt/pepper
Poultry seasoning
Garlic powder
2-3 bay leaves
Liquid of your choice-water, chicken or vegetable broth, white wine

Directions:
1. Chop up the carrots, celery, and onion. Everything should be quartered so that it lasts through the long cooking process.


2. Prepare the chicken in a clean sink by removing the innards and any extra fat that is visible around the end openings. You don't have to do this, but it just grosses me out and unnecessary. Rinse the chicken under running water, inside and out, and then pat dry with paper towels. Place inside the crock pot.
3. Sprinkle the chicken with the salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and garlic powder. Make sure each spice gets all over, around and inside the chicken.



4. Add a few pieces of each vegetable underneath the chicken so it is sitting on them. Then toss a few pieces of each inside the cavity of the chicken as well. The remaining veggies put on top of the chicken. Throw the bay leaves on top.




5. Add enough liquid to fill the crock pot about half way. It should cover at least half of the chicken. If you are using wine, I suggest doing half wine and half water or broth.
6. Place the lid on the crock pot and set for your longest cook time; mine gets set on Low for 8 hours.


7. When the chicken is done, the meat should fall off the bones. Depending on the size of the chicken, this might not take all 8 hours. Remove the chicken from the crock pot, leaving the liquid inside the pot.
8. Shred the meat with two forks (just like in the Pulled Pork recipe from a previous post) or leave in pieces and place in a freezer bag. Label the bag with a Sharpie marker so you know when it was made and what it is and freeze. You're done and ready to begin making lots of easy quick meals for the next month or so.

Tips:
*I usually buy 2 whole chickens at a time-one to freeze, and one to cook-so I always have this on hand. Its the easiest thing to do last minute, and it cooks while you are sleeping or at work!
*Season the chicken however you like- use cumin and chili powder if you want a more Tex-Mex flavor, or add fresh herbs and lemon when you have them on hand.
*Be sure to clean everything really well when handling raw chicken. I usually take the lids off of all my spices before I use them so I can hold the chicken in my left hand and sprinkle with my right. This way I don't have to constantly wash my hands and nothing gets contaminated. Don't forget to clean out the sink if you prepared the chicken in there.

1 comment:

mylittlebecky said...

i LOVE whole crockpot chicken! not pretty, but oh so tasty slash easy!

ps hello! :)