Thursday, October 1, 2009

Birds in a Nest (Eggs in Toast)


This is one of my favorite things to make for dinner. Yes, I said dinner, but breakfast for dinner is quick, easy, and delicious! It also looks cool.

What you need for 2 servings...or one if you are me:

2 eggs
2 pieces of wheat toast
butter
seasoning (I used one with everything in it, but salt and pepper are fine too)

What you do:

1. Heat a pan on medium heat. Add a pat of butter to melt while you are preparing the bread.
2. To prepare the bread, use a round biscuit cutter or a glass to cut a hole out of the center of each piece of bread.
3. Butter the bread on both sides then place inside the pan.
4. Crack one egg into each hole in the bread. Let cook a few minutes on each side, depending how runny you want the yokes. Be careful when you flip them, sometimes they stick to the pan.
5. Season to your liking and enjoy!

Tips:
*If you are cooking bacon or sausage too, use a bit of the grease from that instead of butter in the egg pan. This adds a bit more flavor.
*The circles of bread that are left over make a good small sandwich for little ones, or toast.
*If you are nervous about cracking the egg directly into the middle of the bread, crack the egg into a bowl first then slowly pour it into the middle of the bread.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look good. I think I will have to try them out! I think my mother-in-law makes these for the James Patrick and Emily.

Anonymous said...

this one is easy and cute... more recipe like this please.

George said...

These are great! I've been making them since I was a kid!